Are you trying to eat more veggies or at least find a radical way to eat them to balance out your intake of licorice, diet soda or cookies? Well, I am happy to say that I rarely eat or drink the aforementioned items but I certainly want to learn new ways to eat nature's savory candy. This recipe for Zucchini Chips is easy once you have the prep station ready. These are a great go-to for appetizers or a side dish and believe it or not they are still tasty chilled. To make Zucchini Chips healthy you can bake them however, I decided to fry them to get even more golden brown.
Serving Size: 4 - 6
- 2-medium zucchinis
- 3 eggs (organic or free range)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Olive Oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the zucchinis about 1/8" round pieces; if they are too thick they will take longer to bake/fry
- Prep station (2 shallow bowls): one for the beaten eggs and the other for the bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Pour a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil (about 1 Tblsp) or 2 Tblsp of vegetable oil in a large saute pan . Set to med-high heat.
- Prep the zucchinis (using tongs, fork, or your fingers) by dipping into the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Toss them in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Put the breaded zucchinis on a plate to gather enough to make one layer of zucchinis in the hot saute pan.
- Continue to coat another batch of zucchini chips while you monitor the chips in the pan. Turn over after 3 minutes. The oil will get hotter as you continue to cook. If you add more oil, be sure that it is heated before placing the chips in the pan.
- Place the finish zucchini chips on a paper towel on a plate and cover while the others cook.
- Repeat the process until all the zucchini chips are cooked to a golden brown. Enjoy your revolutionary veggie chips and save some for a late night snack!
|The prepping station for your new veggie chips. It gets a little messy.|
|WHOLE WHEAT bread crumbs makes this REAL food|
|Egged. Breaded. Zucchini Chips in the making.|
|Single layer of Zucchini Chips in the hot saute pan|