WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA POCKETS
Serving Size 4 - 6 (pending on your dough outcome)Food processor or mixer needed
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons Dry Active Yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups whole wheat Flour
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups fresh mozzarella or shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- OPTIONAL Fillings I used: Sauteed green bell pepper, green olives, onion, garlic. Also try another time: sauteed sausage, ground turkey, BBQ chicken, flank steak. Add pesto, BBQ sauce, cilantro, pineapple, caramelized onions or shallots, basil, spinach, eggplant, zucchini, goat cheese, or sprouts.
- Pizza sauce or marinara sauce (I used Muir Glen Organic Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour the 1 cup warm water in a glass measuring cup, heat up if necessary. Put in the 2 teaspoons of Dry Active Yeast and let it rest for a minute.
- Once the yeast foams a little add the salt and olive oil and stir.
- In a food processor with a dough blade/hook add 3 cups of flour. Pour in the water mixture and start the mixer until the dough forms a ball in the processor.
- Coat a large bowl with olive oil and add the pizza dough ball and cover with plastic wrap so that it can rise (20-30 minutes) while you prep the filling ingredients. *You can also make the dough earlier in the day or day before to have it ready to go.*
- In a separate bowl, put the ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses in and mix together.
- Chop/dice the other filling ingredients (bell pepper, onion, garlic, and green olives) and saute in a pan on med-high heat.
- Divide the dough into 4 or 6 pieces and shape each into a ball. With a rolling pin, flatten them but not too thin since you need enough dough to fold the pockets.
- Place a spoonful of the cheese filling, then sauce, and then the veggies in the middle of the flattened dough.
- Fold the dough up and seal the edges as best as possible (some ingredients might come out on the sides). You can seal up like a square or circular pocket.
- Place the dough seam side down onto a greased baking sheet and pierce the top of the dough with a fork to avoid a cheesey mess while baking.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes; remove and let cool for a minute.
- Enjoy with a little marinara sauce, salad, and broccoli as well as some Chianti wine.
|The flour and the yeast -- what a beautiful marriage to make tasty dough.|
|Dough in it's beginning stages of rising...it took a lot of patience for me to wait.|
|The cheesey goodness with Mozz, Ricotta, and Parm|
|The greenies in my dish: basil, bell pepper, and olives|
|Sauteeing those veggies for the filling|
|The 4-pack pizza pocket|
|Ohhh the satisfaction of cheese oozing out is bliss!|